Skip to main content

Hysterikos

In my last post Artist as Subject I closed with the joking statement “Stay tuned… no menstrual blood, I promise”. However, on second thought I’ve decided to share my painting series Hysterikos from 1998, which is in fact about Menstrual Blood. Series Description: The Hysterikos series are large scale, abstract paintings expressing the inner turmoil of the Uterus. The title Hysterikos is a Greek word meaning of the womb or suffering in the womb. This series expresses the pain and strength of women suffering from Endometriosis. Acrylic on Masonite. Hand painted by Amy E. Fraser (1998). Featuring a unique painting process developed by the artist, involving layers upon layers of transparent acrylic glazes. The series title comes from the Classical Greek hysterikos, suffering in the womb, hysterical from hystera, uterus: from the notion that women are hysterical more often than men. What is Endometriosis? “Endometriosis is when the tissue that makes up the uterine lining (the lining of the womb) is present on other organs inside your body. Endometriosis is usually found in the lower abdomen, or pelvis, but can appear anywhere in the body. Women with endometriosis often have lower abdominal pain, pain with periods, or pain with sexual intercourse, and may report having a hard time getting pregnant”. (Read more about Endometriosis). Here are some paintings from the Hysterikos series:
Hysterikos 2 by Amy E. Fraser

Hysterikos 18 by Amy E. Fraser

Hysterikos 20 by Amy E. Fraser
The Hysterikos series is a prime example of painting “what you know”. Some of the most powerful art created derived from sharing an event or aspect that defined the artist’s existence. My intention with this series in 1998 was to create an image that became an experience, an open discussion with the viewer. The paintings were big, bold and confrontational. The series, while technically excellent, if I must say so myself, was in content, raw and personal. Not to mention, even in our enlightened age it was still a taboo topic. But in the spirit of the Feminist artists before me, I went for it. I later dedicated an entire chapter to Menstrual Blood in my book “Dissecting The Western Woman Artist; An Artist's Dialogue” so no need to pretend that I was all that shy about it. 

What was the point of sharing Hysterikos and how does it relate to Artist as Subject”? Today, in this era of over information, also known as TMI, patrons demand to know more of their Artists personal lives before they are willing to invest. But what information should you share? Are you going to be able to maintain the brand you began to develop in college in the next stages of your life? Maybe, maybe not. In my case, not so much. My confident disregard for social normality cost me a couple of art related jobs when I needed them most. I’m sharing this just in case you don’t want to figure these things out on your own. I’m offering the wisdom of my past experiences (I won’t say mistakes), in hopes that you will consider your actions and the long term perception of your work before you go all in. Always be true to yourself, honesty is everything! But keep in mind that while the practice of TMI is cathartic, it can have serious and some times negative long term consequences. However I survived, so shall you, No Regrets!
The Hysterikos series is currently available as POD at AEFraser.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween! Today has always been one of my all time favorite holidays! It is a night full of magic and mystery, a time to face ones fears and celebrate all the dark and scary! I loved Halloween as a kid, making costumes, collecting candy, participating in the adventure, scaring each other to death, what's not to love? Becoming a mother and experiencing Halloween with my son brought it all back. Caden loved Halloween! And I have to admit all the work was worth it when watching him traumatize the other children in his creepy costumes. I'm kidding. He was much too nice for that, no one was scared. Anyway, I had a whole historical Halloween post organized. It was about Samhain, the barrier between the worlds thinning, inviting the dead to dinner... but then I remembered you probably just stopped by to see Caden's Halloween Costumes . It's fine, here they are, all of your favorites: Ghost, Goblin, Vampire, Mummy, Devil, Werepanther and Steampunk Gentleman. Enjoy! Have

The Legend of Hare Terra

Hello Everyone! I’m super excited to announce that I bought the domain name for The Legend of Hare Terra last night! For those of you not familiar with my story, I started The Legend of Hare Terra series back in 2009. I began The Legend of Hare Terra right after I had introduced my beloved Hares at my AVA Gallery “ Wildflower Meadow ” Exhibition. They first made their appearance in my painting series “Meadow Tales”. I am thrilled to say that they were extremely well received. Good thing, because it was already too late, I was obsessed! 10 years later... Okay, so I didn’t work on the series the entire time, but I did step away from the art scene to concentrate on what I hope will prove to be an epic art * experience *. The end goal of the project evolved and changed numerous times over the last decade and eventually The Legend of Hare Terra grew into a collection of over 300 individual art pieces! OMG, right? Soooo, what does one do with a giant body of art dedicated to one subject

Practically Snow White

  House In The Meadow by Amy E. Fraser      Once upon a time, not so very long ago, a young couple yearned for a clean and wholesome environment in which to raise their newborn son. The man and woman scraped together all of their savings and put a small down payment on a beautiful piece of land on the side of a mountain, deep in the New Hampshire forest. They went through many trials and tribulations but eventually they began to build their dream home. While still unfinished, the couple, anxious to begin their new life, moved from their noisy apartment in an ancient Round House on top of busy train tracks into the quiet new house in the middle of the forest. When they arrived, they imagined that the most difficult part was behind them and looked forward to the next step in their journey together.      The house in the forest represented the dreams the couple shared for their future. However, the beginning times were very hard. The couple realized they had been overly opt