Skip to main content

United Way Poster Winner

In my recent post “Young Art Entrepreneur” I discussed how I officially started my first art business at 17 years old, however, what I didn’t mention was that I had already had a long and illustrious career as a famed local artist. Well, perhaps I alluded to that in my “Artist Biography 2010” and maybe also when I shared the award winning Bear With Me Logo from Kindergarten in “Artist Biography Advice”… Did I also mention that Artist’s often have large Egos and an over inflated sense of Self Importance? Yeah, that sort of thing happens to geniuses, it’s rough. Anyway, some Egomaniacs manage positive impact with their art, as was the case with my First Place United Way Poster from 1986 (age 13). Here is a look at it from a newspaper I found while touring memory lane with my son this past Thanksgiving break:
Close up view of Amy E. Fraser's United Way poster from 1986





It looks like I had very strong opinions about eighty’s excess and shared this through (hopefully good humored) sarcasm. The question that appears on the top of the poster is “Is this you?” The poster then illustrates a wide variety of vain and opulent characters drowning in loads of money and proceeds to ask “Don’t you think you could give us a – (hand)“ word ending next to the United Way Hand. So perhaps not expertly executed, but well intended. This is one of my early thought provoking concept pieces meant to cause shock, discomfort and get a reaction. It was the beginning of Amy E. Fraser’s Awareness Art as my friend Laurel so cleverly labeled it. This was art for a cause, art with meaning and intent, art meant to make a difference… because art can be a powerful tool for healing and change if used wisely.


For more Amy E. Fraser art and information go to Aefraser.com


Granite United Way is a nonprofit organization that makes strategic investments in our community that help others Learn, Earn and Be Healthy. Our impact covers more than 80% of New Hampshire and Windsor County, Vermont.

Granite United Way has the expertise, trust, and scope to bring together stakeholders like local nonprofits, government, businesses, private foundations, and volunteers with the common goal of delivering total community impact.

Granite United Way believes that every one of us has the power to be a change agent. We are committed to removing barriers and creating opportunities for people to make a positive impact in our community. We are more than a fundraiser, we are partners in change, working with a broad range of people and organizations to identify and resolve pressing community issues.

Granite United Way's commitment to transparency and efficiency has been recognized at the national level and of the highest accolade, by both Charity Navigator and GuideStar, organizations that ensure charities are held to standards of excellence.

We work closely with volunteer leadership to invest donor dollars to help our community Learn, Earn and Be Healthy. By focusing on these investment initiatives, we are helping people in new and strategic ways.  Great things happen when we Live United.

Give. Advocate. Volunteer. LIVE UNITED. Learn more about Granite United Way

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween! Today has always been one of my all time favorite holidays! It is a night full of magic and mystery, a time to face ones fears and celebrate all the dark and scary! I loved Halloween as a kid, making costumes, collecting candy, participating in the adventure, scaring each other to death, what's not to love? Becoming a mother and experiencing Halloween with my son brought it all back. Caden loved Halloween! And I have to admit all the work was worth it when watching him traumatize the other children in his creepy costumes. I'm kidding. He was much too nice for that, no one was scared. Anyway, I had a whole historical Halloween post organized. It was about Samhain, the barrier between the worlds thinning, inviting the dead to dinner... but then I remembered you probably just stopped by to see Caden's Halloween Costumes . It's fine, here they are, all of your favorites: Ghost, Goblin, Vampire, Mummy, Devil, Werepanther and Steampunk Gentleman. Enjoy! Have

The Legend of Hare Terra

Hello Everyone! I’m super excited to announce that I bought the domain name for The Legend of Hare Terra last night! For those of you not familiar with my story, I started The Legend of Hare Terra series back in 2009. I began The Legend of Hare Terra right after I had introduced my beloved Hares at my AVA Gallery “ Wildflower Meadow ” Exhibition. They first made their appearance in my painting series “Meadow Tales”. I am thrilled to say that they were extremely well received. Good thing, because it was already too late, I was obsessed! 10 years later... Okay, so I didn’t work on the series the entire time, but I did step away from the art scene to concentrate on what I hope will prove to be an epic art * experience *. The end goal of the project evolved and changed numerous times over the last decade and eventually The Legend of Hare Terra grew into a collection of over 300 individual art pieces! OMG, right? Soooo, what does one do with a giant body of art dedicated to one subject

Practically Snow White

  House In The Meadow by Amy E. Fraser      Once upon a time, not so very long ago, a young couple yearned for a clean and wholesome environment in which to raise their newborn son. The man and woman scraped together all of their savings and put a small down payment on a beautiful piece of land on the side of a mountain, deep in the New Hampshire forest. They went through many trials and tribulations but eventually they began to build their dream home. While still unfinished, the couple, anxious to begin their new life, moved from their noisy apartment in an ancient Round House on top of busy train tracks into the quiet new house in the middle of the forest. When they arrived, they imagined that the most difficult part was behind them and looked forward to the next step in their journey together.      The house in the forest represented the dreams the couple shared for their future. However, the beginning times were very hard. The couple realized they had been overly opt